Disney Half Marathon

Before I get to the race, there must first be an shoutout to Whitney Picklesiemer ( I'm sorry if I mis-spelled your last name) as she got married this past weekend!!!! The wedding was gorgeous! Love you Whit!

Ok... onto the race. We had to be at the meeting area in the morning by 4:30 am. I woke up at 3:15 because I couldn't sleep from the anticipation. We waited around until the race started at 6 am. We were in one of the last corrals so we didn't officially start running until maybe 6:30ish.

I was feeling good until mile 5 when my knees started hurting, so I slowed my pace and slowly the pain went away. We got to run through both Disney parks and Angels stadium (which was totally awesome). There were Disney characters as you ran through the parks that cheered you on and you could stop to take your pictures with. There were so many spectators!!!! They spanned the entire race! There were high schools from all over S. CA there to cheer us on. They even cheered me on by name "come on Abby you can do it" "Go Abby!!!!" I felt like a celebrity. No big deal. I finished with 2:35 as my time, not bad for only training by running 3 miles max on the treadmill the week of the race. I am so stoked I could do another one. Of course I'm sore but its bearable.
I don't know how many pictures I have of me in 3D glasses after all of my Disney days but we had to take one while we were waiting for Captain EO. Which rocked.... literally. I was bouncing in my seat!
We sported our medals all day long at the park... we're some of "those" people.
As Liz calls this photo... "our after party at the Hollywood Tower Hotel" and we stayed at the park till midnight to watch the new water show at CA Adventure. Thats right folks... up in the morning at 3:15 and to by by 12:30.... plus running 13.1 miles in between... it was a long day.


We also went to this awesome antique district called Orange Circle and they had some amazing stuff. They had this amazing turquoise piano for $300!!!!! I wanted to take it home with me in my carry on. I definitely want to come back to this district next time I'm in LA.
I also want to do another half marathon!!!! Anyone want to do the Princess half marathon in Orlando at the end of this coming February???! I am dying to do it! I get to run around my old home of 8 months and escape the cold of Utah!!!!! And if you do one in Florida and one in CA in the same year you get a special Coast to Coast medal!!!! Thats 3 medals for two races!!!! Seriously a half marathon was one of the most fun things I have ever done in my entire life! And I can't imagine a better one to do than Disney. So people..... do one with me! You won't regret it!

3 comments:

Denise said...

I would have loved to see you with the piano in your carry on! You are getting way too excited about the medal factor! That is so cute. I am really proud that you did that well without really training that much!

Abby said...

Come on Denise do it with me in Florida!!!! You know you want to! haha

anna said...

Abby! What a fun race. I love that you wore your medals all day... I would do the same.

Congratulations!